The Beatles Place Two Albums among Top Selling Vinyl Records
Vinyl lovers saw a surge in sales for their beloved long players. (lp) Album sales for 2014 in the U.S. have been tabulated by Nielsen and although no releases by classic-rock acts are among the biggest sellers, The Beatles had two of the best selling vinyl records.
The Fab Four's Abbey Road and Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band sold 38,200 and 33,600 copies, respectively, during the past year to land at #4 and #7 on Nielsen's 2014 Top LP Vinyl Albums list. Also making the tally was Bob Marley & the Wailers' classic compilation Legend, which moved 37,800 copies for a fifth-place finish. The best-selling vinyl album for 2014 was Jack White's Lazaretto, which sold 86,700 copies. Interestingly, overall vinyl sales increased an impressive 52 percent from 2013 to 2014.
The top-selling album overall for 2014 was pop superstar Taylor Swift's 1989, which sold 3,660,000 copies.
Here's the full 2014 Top LP Vinyl Albums list:
1. Jack White, Lazaretto, 86,700
2. Arctic Monkeys, AM, 58,700
3. Lana Del Rey, Born to Die, 42,100
4. The Beatles, Abbey Road, 38,200
5. Bob Marley & the Wailers, Legend, 37,800
6. The Black Keys, Turn Blue, 34,200
7. The Beatles, Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, 33,600
8. Lana Del Rey, Ultraviolence, 31,800
9. Miles Davis, Kind of Blue, 31,700
10. Amy Winehouse, Back to Black, 27,800